Monday, October 1, 2012

Dalek-Inspired Hat Pattern

It's been a nearly a year since I first made my dalek gloves, so I thought I'd have a try making a matching hat.


There are several versions of hats that look like the top of the dome of the dalek, so I thought that making another one of those would be a bit redundant.  It's also really hard to make a version that has the bobbles at the bottom due to the need to taper the hat at the top.  Instead, I opted for a more abstract design where the bobbles and the stripes are side-by-side.  I think this makes for a more subtle design that still has the elements of a dalek in it.





Unfortunately, making the pattern of alternating squares requires a number of strands of wool to be in use at a time.  It also means that there will be a LOT of ends to tuck in when you're done.  The pattern can be worked with just two strands, but it leaves the back a lot uglier, and you have to be really careful with tension.

The pattern is available both at my etsy store, or on Ravelry.  The pattern is of intermediate difficulty, and is for a large women's/medium men's sized hat, with instructions to make smaller and larger sizes.  I also have a couple of already made pairs on etsy, and am happy to do custom orders

No comments:

Post a Comment