Sunday, June 17, 2012

Gluten-Free Dalek Smash Cake and Lemon Sour Cream Cake Recipe

My partner and I have our birthdays two days apart, so the last couple of years we've had a joint costume party.  Last years theme was video games, and I spent weeks making decorations, about half of which are still up a year later.

If I remember rightly, the guitar hero song was Sweet Child of Mine, on the basis that it always has to be played ad nauseum at parties, but I didn't want to actually listen to it at mine.

(I was dressed up as Toadette.)

This years party was movie-themed, and I dressed up as Sara from the labyrinth.  I made the waistcoat by getting a plain white vest, stenciling on the pattern in pencil then painting over it.



My favourite part of the night was the cake.  It took me three days to make (mostly because I was organised and made it in stages), but ended up amazing.  It was a Dalek smash cake, which I made following the instructions here (I know that Doctor Who is technically not movie themed - though the eighth Doctor was in a movie.  The cake is just too awesome to care!).




If you don't know what a smash cake is, basically the top half of the cake is a hollow chocolate dome that is supposed to be smashed open before eating the cake:




Inside there were the brains of the Dalek.  Delicious, gummy brains!  Plus, the entire cake (which was lemon sour cream) as well as the 'plunger' and the eye were gluten-free!  It would be just as easy to make it dairy-free as well by using dark chocolate, the right sort of cookie and making an appropriate cake.  My Dalek is a bit on the short side compared to the one in the tutorial, but that has more to do with the fact that I had to use a rectangular pan rather than a square pan for the base so did not have a lot of mix to give it height, rather than it being flat because it's gluten-free.

Because he was so short, I couldn't use chocolate buttons as the Dalek bumps.  Instead, I just piped them using chocolate icing.  I also didn't use liquorish for the black bits.  Liquorish contains wheat, plus it's gross.  I added black food colouring to the chocolate icing and piped that on as well.

I found the recipe for the cake somewhere online a few years ago, but I can't seem to find it again so I thought I'd post it here as it's a really good one.  To make the Dalek, I made a double batch.

GF Lemon Sour Cream Cake

Ingredients


2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (125 g) sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
zest of 1+ lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cup gf flour - 2 parts rice, 1 part corn, 1 part tapioca
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham/guar gum
1/2 tsp salt

  • Whisk eggs and sugar together until it gets stiff and forms ribbons
  • Add sour cream, vanilla, zest, juice and butter and mix through
  • Add dry ingredients and mix well
  • Bake at 180°C for 30 min for cake, or 15-20 min for cupcakes

Icing

1 cup icing sugar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
~2 tsp oil
Food colouring
boiling water

  • Mix icing sugar, lemon juice, oil and food colouring together
  • Add boiling water slowly until icing is reasonably thick

This cake is also really good with cream cheese icing (Definitely my favourite icing)

250 g cream cheese
3 Tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 Tsp lemon juice
2 cups icing sugar

  • Mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla and lemon juice together until smooth
  • Add icing sugar and mix well







1 comment:

  1. how did you make those guitar hero dots so awesome? would you be able to send me a template or something?

    ReplyDelete